Requirements and Time commitments: This is one of the key role in the VigyanShaala ecosystem. We are looking for highly committed and motivated personnel who are keen in making a difference or would like to give back to the community. This is a non-negotiable 1-Year minimum lock-in commitment.
The major role of the Mentor is to ‘Deep-Mentor’ Undergraduate students who are typically studying BSc/BTech. A whole mentoring curriculum is developed and you will be expected to attend few days training session on how to go about it. This is an overall mentoring: Examples include mentoring them in basic computer skills such as excel, tracking their academic progress, pushing and preparing them to find summer internships even if in your own place of work, helping them in developing experiments in the VS lab etc. You will also be expected to be deeply involved in the projects the Undergraduate Mentees will perform in the VS-labs, help them when they are stuck, give them few directions the projects can lead to obtain interesting results and if possible also get involved yourself in the making. This is typically 3-4 hours/week requirement, along with attending training sessions and at least perform 1 workshop with a mentee in a school, college or marketplace.
If you are from an DST/DAE/DBT institute, we are willing to offer this as a curriculum where you can gain credits for the mentoring. This could take some time so please do contact us to check the possibility.
- PhDs from top tier institutes or universities studying STEMC. In exceptional cases where prior record shows student is motivated to contribute, we will consider Masters Students from such universities (since balancing academic load with heavy mentoring is usually challenging)
- Scientists or Engineers working with Industries (<10 Year experience) who are extremely committed to contribute to STEM in society and creating the future STEM leaders of tomorrow.
- Excitement in doing projects and sharing your experiences with the public. You would have to actively support the Under-Graduates in completing their projects, guiding their projects towards unique directions just like in a research lab so as to get to new and novel results.
- We would like if you are able to perform outreach experiments and share them with the public: Put up stalls in Malls or Market Places or in schools and perform scientific experiments.
What do you get out of it :
- We give you a platform for you to mentor students. The platform is still in its nascent stages and an attempt to move it completely online is being made. Remember these are Undergraduate students from Under-Privileged backgrounds: So the knowledge you use on a daily basis and take for granted is absolutely priceless to them. Just sharing and guiding will give you immense self-satisfaction on a daily basis.
- You will learn to develop to improve you soft skills. Most researchers we find lack in these soft-skills. Which better opportunity that this, with a complete support system we will help you build this soft skill of networking, mentoring, guiding students, public speaking and running projects in a lab.
- You will be given access (10-Hour) to a Guru, who will help you in deciding your next steps in your career and life in general. As you mentor, so will be you be mentored.
- VigyanShaala Online Content: On how to write CVs, How to Write SOPs, how to network, career counselling documentation, access to a few academic societies and more.
- VigyanShaala Mentoring Certificate: This is given out only to a few. Over time we would like to build this as a Gold Standard to Demonstrate Top-Notch mentoring skills, leadership skills in leading a team a lab, communicating with the society, public speaking, man-management and more.
- You get access to VS labs, where you could come and perform experiments and design experiments yourself.
Please do write to us if you think you are interested by completing this contact form. Please do write in the subject “Be a Mentor”.